Mobile eService is the new trend of Electronic Service adding a highly visible channel to marketing and sales. eServices on mobile can be provided on the form of mobile apps or Web Portals developed using HTML5 code for better adaptation to different mobile brands and models.
The mobile eService is more than a mere adaptation of an existing eService onto a mobile device. The mobile eService capitalizes in the fact that the user and the terminal are mobile, and enhances the eService via Local-based Services for example. Mobile eService have the following characteristics:
• Full service mobility
• Increased functionality due to terminal and user mobility
• Cross-platform functionality
• Support for offline usage
Per ResearchGate.net, mobile eServices should consider the following requirements during design phase:
1. Application and Service Accessibility: The mobile eService should be easy to find and access. A single point of access is preferred.
2. Individualization: The service should be user-centred, allowing users to tailor form and function. If possible, different communication modalities should be provided. Ideally, information such as form data should be cached, allowing re-usage between eServices.
3. Location Utilization: User location (or location chosen by the user) should be utilized to enhance service quality and increase the offered functionality.
4. Platform Independence: The mobile eService should be accessible on different platforms and different devices, with look-and-feel also independent of platform used.
5. Service Mobility: Design for service availability anytime, anywhere, regardless of device, network or location.
6. Two-way Communication: Utilize the fact that information can be sent bi-directional, and that either the user or the service provider can initialize information transmission. Consider making the user a service provider herself, offering up-to-date and location-connected information.
7. Usefulness: The mobile eService must provide added value to the user, in terms of work efficiency, cost efficiency, and/or deliver information important to the user.